Speech and Language Therapy
Our speech and language therapy team supports children and young people with speech, language or communication difficulties. We also work with children experiencing eating and drinking difficulties.
We support children and young people who find it difficult to produce the sounds needed for clear speech, understand what’s being said to them, or express themselves using appropriate words and sentences. We also help them with social communication skills and interacting with others, as well as specific conditions such as stammering or hearing impairment.
We help them develop the skills they need to learn, play and socialise with others, and express their wants, needs and thoughts.
Optimum speech and language development has a positive effect on your child’s education, behaviour and ability to socialise so we work together with families, education staff and other professionals to achieve positive outcomes. We do this by working towards agreed goals that are functional, meaningful and important for your child.
We do this by:
- Providing training and advice for parents, carers and other individuals (such as education staff) to support your child
- Providing approaches and activities to be carried out by various people to support your child in different environments
- Providing advice and recommendations for specialist equipment such as communication aids when needed
- Contributing to Educational Healthcare plans and transition planning
- Providing direct therapy with your child individually or in a group when needed.
We work closely with you, your family, education staff and a range of professionals to help your child achieve the goals we’ve agreed with you.
We work with school staff and families to give speech, language and communication support to children and young people attending mainstream schools across Berkshire. We support from their entry into reception until they leave secondary school.
In Slough we offer this service to children and young people attending a mainstream school as long as they have an Education Health and Care Plan.
We start by talking to you and your child’s teachers about concerns they might have about speech and language development, and the impact these difficulties have at home and school.
The support we offer might include:
- Training and advice for school staff in how to spot when your child needs support, and the best ways to help them use their communication skills well to learn
- Setting targets with parents/carers and school staff to make sure your child gets the best outcome
- Designing programmes of activities.
We might also provide support to your child in small groups, in pairs or on a one-to-one basis.
If you have a scheduled appointment with one of our teams and either you or a member of your family have symptoms of Covid-19, please call to reschedule your appointment on one of the contact numbers in the Contact Us section.
Please check our Support and Advice area of this website for any relevant self help techniques.
If you still wish to make a referral, please read the referral criteria so that we can ensure your enquiry is directed to the right area and follow the directions on this page.
If your referral is urgent, please call our HealthHub on 0300 365 1234.
If your child/young person is already known to our service and you have a query, concern, or need advice, or you need to cancel/re-arrange a scheduled appointment, please call your local administration team:
- East Berkshire (Slough, Bracknell, Windsor and Maidenhead): 0300 365 0123Option 2
- Reading: 0300 3654000
- Wokingham: 01189 495093
- West Berkshire (Newbury): 01635 273706
If you would like some advice from your local early years’ speech and language therapy team (for pre-school children), you can also email the team:
- Reading – ADMINREADING@berkshire.nhs.uk
- West Berkshire (Newbury) – ADMINNEWBURY@berkshire.nhs.uk
- Wokingham– ADMINBRWOK@berkshire.nhs.uk
- Bracknell - CYPITBRACKAdmin@berkshire.nhs.uk
- Slough – CYPITSLOUGHAdmin@berkshire.nhs.uk
- Windsor and Maidenhead – Please contact our Triage team as above for advice and support on 01189 740506 or alternatively complete our online referral form.
Please include your child’s name and date of birth or NHS number in the email so that we can access your child’s records, along with the best telephone number to contact you on. It is also helpful if you can let us know the best day(s) to contact you. We aim for all families to be called back by a speech and language therapist within a few weeks, but it can take longer if lots of requests have been received.
iCan Talking Point
Words for Life
British Stammering Association
Hungry Little Minds
Phone: Slough, Bracknell, Windsor and Maidenhead: 0300 365 0123 (Option 2); Reading: 0300 3654000, Wokingham: 01189 495093, Newbury: 01635 273706
Make a referral
Finding you the right care delivered in the right way
Need help now?
Select this icon for urgent help or crisis support
How did we do?
Your feedback can help